A team of the municipal corporation on Saturday conducted an inspection of 13 paid parking lots and found violations. Some of the rules that are being violated are haphazard parking, non-use of e-ticketing machines and overcharging.
After the inspection, the contractors are being served notices and will be fined for the violations.The municipal corporation will now conduct regular such inspections.
Recently the vigilance department conducted a probe in the paid parking lot of Sector 35 and indicted four municipal officials.
- Push for hassle-free parking: Civic body plans six-fold hike in penalty if contractor fails to give adequate parking space
- Chandigarh: MC writes to SSP, 5 contractors surrender parking lots for overcharging
- Paid parking lots: MC enforcement team carries out inspection, finds blatant violations
- Overcharging at paid parking lots: For cars, people charged Rs 10, not Rs 5
- Chandigarh: Four municipal officials indicted for irregularities in parking lot
- MC conducts checks at 3 paid parking lots, challans issued for violations
The officials were indicted on charges of irregularities in the paid parking lot of Sector 35C. The department submitted its report to the municipal corporation on June 18 and demanded action against enforcement in-charge Sunil Dutt and sub-inspectors Bhupinder Kaur, Ashok Rai and Darshan Pal Singh.
On April 8, 2015, the then UT Adviser Vijay Dev had marked a vigilance probe into the overcharging and other violations by paid parking lot contractors in the city.