In support of the traders, the Congress on Thursday said five of their party leaders will sit on hunger strike daily until the decision of closing the two parking lots is rolled back.
City Congress chief Pardeep Chhabra produced the initial proposal of the Sector 17 multi-level parking, wherein he showed that there was no plan of closing the existing two parking lots.
- Push for hassle-free parking: Civic body plans six-fold hike in penalty if contractor fails to give adequate parking space
- Pay double from today in all paid parking lots of Chandigarh
- RIP: Multilevel Parking in Chandigarh
- Chandigarh Municipal Corporation succumbs to pressure, reopens both parking lots — with certain conditions
- Closing of two parking lots: House passed agenda as part of smart city presentation, says Chandigarh Mayor
- Closing down of two parking lots: Sector 17 traders to close shops till 1 pm
Commenting on Sood’s statement that the issue (part of smart city agenda) was passed in the municipal house meet in March, Chhabra said the plan was to develop Sector 17 and not closing the parking lots. “The agenda was about revitalisation of Sector 17 wherein development was proposed. It never mentioned that the parking lots would be closed,” said Congress councillor Subhash Chawla.
The Congress, in a communique to the mayor and commissioner Baldeo Purushartha, stated that a special House meeting is called on the issue to rollback the decision immediately.
The letter stated, “Eight councillors of our party had already put the table agenda in the previous House meeting that was held on April 30. But it was unfortunate on your part to not consider such an important issue and adjourned the house meeting which resulted in the protest in which many of your leaders also participated.