In A freak accident, a young man, who was the sole bread winner of his family, died when he was crushed under a police bus on the road dividing sectors 18 and 21 on Wednesday night.
Gurmeet Singh, 26, was going from Sector 17 to his rented accommodation in Ram Darbar when his bike hit the divider, got stuck in it and he fell on the other side of the road, only to be run over by the bus coming from the opposite direction.
Bus driver Constable Hardyal Singh was booked for death due to negligence, rash driving and endangering life. He was arrested and later bailed out.
Inspector Poonam Dilawari, SHO of Sector 19 police station, said, “We can’t say how his bike got stuck in the divider. Police officials in the bus called the Police Control Room, and PCR officials took Gurmeet Singh to PGI where he was declared dead on arrival.”
Gurmeet’s body was shifted to the mortuary. Soon, two of his friends, Amandeep Singh and Rohanjeet Singh, whom he had to meet at 9.30 pm at their residence, came looking for him.
Amandeep told Newsline, “He was supposed to meet us after work, but he did not come. His mobile was switched off. So we went looking for him. At the accident spot, we saw his motorcycle and went up to the police to ask what had happened. They told us that the driver had met with an accident and died.”
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Amandeep added, “We went to PGI and the doctors said that he died on the spot.” Amandeep then contacted Gurmeet’s father Om Prakash Singh at Lalru through a friend, Ankit. After post-mortem at the Government Multi-Specialty Hospital in Sector 16, the body was handed over to the family.
Gurmeet had left school after class X to support his family in 2004 when his father was detected with cancer and had his right hand amputated. Gurmeet started working as an AC service agent with a private firm. In February, he started his own business and, according to Rohanjeet, was doing well. He is survived by parents, one brother and two sisters.