In A freak accident, a young man, who was the sole bread winner of his family, died when he was crushed under a police bus on the road dividing sectors 18 and 21 on Wednesday night.
Gurmeet Singh, 26, was going from Sector 17 to his rented accommodation in Ram Darbar when his bike hit the divider, got stuck in it and he fell on the other side of the road, only to be run over by the bus coming from the opposite direction.
Bus driver Constable Hardyal Singh was booked for death due to negligence, rash driving and endangering life. He was arrested and later bailed out.
Inspector Poonam Dilawari, SHO of Sector 19 police station, said, “We can’t say how his bike got stuck in the divider. Police officials in the bus called the Police Control Room, and PCR officials took Gurmeet Singh to PGI where he was declared dead on arrival.”
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
Gurmeet’s body was shifted to the mortuary. Soon, two of his friends, Amandeep Singh and Rohanjeet Singh, whom he had to meet at 9.30 pm at their residence, came looking for him.
Amandeep told Newsline, “He was supposed to meet us after work, but he did not come. His mobile was switched off. So we went looking for him. At the accident spot, we saw his motorcycle and went up to the police to ask what had happened. They told us that the driver had met with an accident and died.”
Amandeep added, “We went to PGI and the doctors said that he died on the spot.” Amandeep then contacted Gurmeet’s father Om Prakash Singh at Lalru through a friend, Ankit. After post-mortem at the Government Multi-Specialty Hospital in Sector 16, the body was handed over to the family.
Gurmeet had left school after class X to support his family in 2004 when his father was detected with cancer and had his right hand amputated. Gurmeet started working as an AC service agent with a private firm. In February, he started his own business and, according to Rohanjeet, was doing well. He is survived by parents, one brother and two sisters.