Favourites Rana, Gill suffer mechanical failures in first leg
For 2018 Winter Games, Pyeongchang has a different plan in place

Burglaries on the rise, 10 so far in February..

In the month of February, burglars have targeted 10 houses in the city and decamped with cash and jewellery.

Chandigarh | Published:February 26, 2014 4:13 am
In the last two weeks, four houses have been burgled by unidentified miscreants in Sector 23. In the last two weeks, four houses have been burgled by unidentified miscreants in Sector 23.

In the month of February, burglars have targeted 10 houses in the city and decamped with cash and jewellery. The police, however, have not been able to arrest the accused in any of the cases.

In the last two weeks, four houses have been burgled by unidentified miscreants in Sector 23. All the houses which were broken into are those allotted to government employees. On Monday, the accused who burgled one of the houses managed to flee despite the presence of police officials who were deputed to nab the miscreants.

“At first, owners of three houses in the same locality in Sector 23 had reported incidents of burglaries. All the incidents were similar. The miscreants had targeted the houses when the residents had gone for work in the morning and afternoon,” said a police official of Sector 22 Police Post.

Vandana, a resident of Sector 23, said, “This is not the first time that one of the houses in our locality has been burgled. Many incidents have taken place here. Despite us telling the police officials who patrol the area to keep a watch, cases are increasing.”

When contacted, Deputy Superintendent of Police (Central) Ashish Kapoor said, “The accused managed to escape the police officials on Monday. But we have deputed special teams in Sector 23. We also sought help from the crime branch.”

On February 7, residents of Sector 38 West had reported burglaries in two houses and an attempt was made to burgle another house. A complainant, Davinder Kumar Sharma, had suffered a loss of 45 tolas of gold, Rs 70,000 in cash, $750 and a coin collection of different countries weighing about a kilogramme. Loss from the other house which belongs to Pritam Singh could not be calculated as the owner is in the US. The miscreants also tried to break into Sharma’s nextdoor neighbour’s house.

A day before the incident happened, Pritam and his wife had left for the US to visit their daughter. Pritam’s brother Dr Darshan Singh who is looking after the house noticed the lights of the house open and found the house ransacked.

These houses in Sector 38-West were burgled between 2 pm and 5 pm when the residents of the houses and that of the neighbouring houses were not at home.

Admitting that the police have failed to find any leads in the case, DSP (South) Surjit Singh Malik said, “We are trying our best to arrest the accused. But there is no clue. The dump data from the mobile towers in that area was taken but there was nothing in it.”

A similar incident had taken place on February 19 when three houses in Sector 7 were targeted by two miscreants. These were also the houses of government employees. Gold and cash was burgled from the house of Bhishan Lal, a judgment writer with Punjab and Haryana High Court, when the owners went for a wedding function. However, the CCTV footage from cameras installed outside a school in front of Lal’s residence had some clues.

From the CCTV footage, it was clear that the two accused first came to Lal’s residence (house number 503), saw that Lal and his family were in the house and went towards another lane of houses. House numbers 218 and 220, near Lal’s house, were then targeted. Rs 10, 000 were stolen from house 218 and locks of house 220 were also broken.

DSP (East) Anjitha Chepyala said, “We have taken the dump data of mobile towers of that location and investigations are going on. Another CCTV footage was given by the complainant today and we are analysing it.”

… burglars strike at a Sector 23 house, leave on ‘poetic’ note



The residence of a Haryana’s health department superintendent, Naresh Kumar, in Sector 23 was burgled by some miscreants on Monday afternoon. The accused fled and left behind a note for the owners of the house.

A source in the police department said that a note was found in a diary lying on the table by Kumar’s son, Vikas. Vikas told the police that he was not familiar with the handwriting.

However, Station House Officer Dilsher Singh said that no note was found.

The note read: “Har sitare ke naseeb main bulandhian nahi hote, har ek ke naseeb maon phool nahi hote, zameen par pade hain sitare kuch aj, par ye dhul ke sang dhool nahi hote.” The post-script of the note read: “Ek din fir chamkeinge, time aaega.”

Naresh Kumar, his wife and a son had gone for a wedding in Yamuna Nagar. Kumar’s younger son Vikas had gone to his college in Sector 42. “When I returned at 2 pm, some people were chasing another person aged about 25. I did not know what was going on. When I went inside my house, I found that locks of my house were broken and the house was ransacked,” Vikas told Newsline.

The accused broke the latch of the main door. The almirah in which the cash and jewellery were kept was also broken. The accused decamped with about six-seven tolas of gold and Rs 1,000 in cash. “Most of the cash and jewellery was with my parents as they needed it for the wedding,” said Vikas.

The incident took place despite the fact that the police officials had been patrolling the sector since Monday morning. “Similar incidents were reported to us earlier by the residents of the same locality. We had been on the lookout for the accused for the last few days but the accused managed to escape,” said the in-charge of Police Post Sector 22, Ram Rattan.

Crime branch sleuths were also deputed in the area. This was the third incident which happened in the same locality in the last three weeks. The accused target the houses when no one is in the house during the day.

Do you like this story