Gets better life as reward
For 11-year-old Gurjeevan,Wednesday turned out to be his scarlet day. The boy with a dream to become a policeman one day,worked as one of the many young domestic helps at Phaphde Bhaike village in Mansa district. Now,he is everyones darling and has a life full of promise. A valiant Gurjeevan helped the police nab three men who were trying to escape after an unsuccessful robbery attempt at Satluj Gramin Bank in the village on Wednesday afternoon. This has got him a cash reward,a bagful of books,but most importantly,a promise from his fellow villagers to bear all expenses of his studies and a plot to build his own house on.
Gurjeevan,who has two elder brothers and two younger sisters,lost his father around four years ago. He studied till Class III,but had to abandon his dream of donning the khaki after the family became unable to support his studies. He,too,became one of the earning members with a bleak future.
On Wednesday,Gurjeevan displayed extraordinary grit that changed it all.
Three robbers entered the bank on Wednesday but had to run away after the guard gave a tough fight to them,enabling bank officials to close the door from inside,press the alarm and alert the police.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
When I saw the robbers running away after their attempt failed,I started pelting stones at them. One of the stones hit the hand of a robber who was wielding the pistol. The pistol fell down and villagers caught hold of him, Gurjeevan narrates. The robbers retaliated,and managed to injure the child on his forehead. Gurjeevan points to the minor injury on his forehead with a hint of pride now.
He was honoured on Thursday by Faridkot range DIG Dr Jatinder Jain at Bathinda with a cash reward of Rs 10,000 and a trophy. DIG Jain also handed him a set of books. Mansa SSP Hardial Singh Mann says his name would be recommended for the national bravery awards. The bank where the robbery attempt was made also has plans to give him Rs 5,000 as reward.
But the biggest reward came from the villagers. Residents promised that they would together bear the expenses of his studies. This effectively ends Gurjeevans days as a domestic help.
The village sarpanch also announced 4 biswas of land for him in the village for a house. DIG Jain said the police would facilitate in arranging funds from social organisations for construction of the house.