A meeting of the local unit of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) to decide on the city’s Lok Sabha candidate for the forthcoming elections had to be adjourned after party workers came to blows.
It was for the first time that the party was holding such an exercise. Apart from the names of three local leaders, film actor Kirron Kher also figured in in the list of probables.
The BJP had organised the meeting at its office in Sector 37. The BJP in-charge of Chandigarh Aarti Mehra attended the meeting to which party office-bearers in 2007, 2010 and 2013 at different levels were also invited.
In a first of its kind experiment, it was decided to hold a ballot to decide which of the four probable candidates should be fielded. The aspirants included BJP president Sanjay Tandon, former MP Satya Pal Jain, senior leader Harmohan Dhawan, and Kirron Kher. The office-bearers, present and former, were to rate the leaders as per their preference of candidates.
However, before the process could start, arguments started among the BJP workers after some of those who were not invited turned up. As the arguments continued, there was jostling among party workers and due to the ruckus that ensued the meeting had to be adjourned. The decision to proceed with the voting for the candidate was also scrapped.
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swam Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
- J.Jayalalithaa’s Life Journey
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
A leader of the party said that a tussle ensued between two members of the BJP, Narender Choudhary and Gurpreet Dhillon and soon several other party workers also got involved and the proceedings could no longer take place.
Later in the day, a meeting of the party’s core committee was also held and it was decided to leave the choice of the candidate to the senior leaders. There already is stiff competition between the leaders in the city over the selection of the candidate. The inclusion of Kirron Kher – who hails from Chandigarh – will only make the plot interesting.