- The Big Picture: What’s AAP
- A year later, the tweak: Desh to Dilli
- Bus from Burari laden with volunteers and hope
- Rare day out for AAP families
- Riot of support for AAP in communal hot spots
- Hunt on for CM house, will not accept Z-plus security
- No word from high command, Delhi Congress in a paralysis
- Latest News
- Second time at Ramlila Maidan: Hope overrides their doubts
- Kejriwal has no portfolio, will keep an eye on others
- In sea of white caps, BJP troika plans to be ‘forceful opposition’
- MP, MLA see Punjab as the next AAP stop
- A year later, the tweak: Desh to Dilli
- Arvind Kejriwal repeats his advice to sting the corrupt, asks police to act against ‘goondagardi’
- Proud that one of our volunteers has become Delhi CM: Anna Hazare
- Arvind Kejriwal not to keep any portfolio
- Now an Aam Aadmi Party Cola by beverage-maker inspired by Arvind Kejriwal’s party
- New chief minister Arvind Kejriwal holds meetings at Delhi Secretariat
- Cong’s Ajay Maken blames Sheila Dikshit for Delhi polls debacle
- Left, right, AAP
BJP leaders talk development, challenge rival party for debate
BJP candidate Kirron Kher, while addressing the gathering at Bharat Vijay Rally at the exhibition ground in Sector 34 on Saturday, launched an attack on the Congress stating that no development has taken place in the city with Chandigarh being represented by the Congress MP for 15 years and the UPA government at the Centre for 10 years. She said that she had both niyat and niti that are required to get work done.
Kher said that wherever she is going — colonies, sectors or meeting any section of the society — everyone is ruing that nothing has been done. “Some of the problems in Chandigarh include adequate funds not being provided, Metro has not started, notices are being sent to people who have made need-based changes, the youth are unemployed and skill development or vocational courses that are required have not been started,” she said.
Kher added that PEC could be upgraded to an IIT. She said when Modi government is at the Centre, she would ensure that Filmcity, Medicity and Media City are set up in Chandigarh so that the youth get jobs here
Taking a dig at Aam Aadmi Party, Kher said they were misguiding people. She said they formed a government in New Delhi that lasted only 49 days after which they gave up. She alleged that Maoist sympathisers were present in AAP. She also termed AAP as the B-team of Congress.
Kher said that the government at the Centre had failed on all fronts. “China is entering the border, while Pakistan is beheading the soldiers of our country,” she said. She appealed to the people to support her on April 10 to get rid of the non-performing Congress rule.
Deputy chief minister of Punjab Sukhbir Singh Badal, while addressing the gathering, said that Chandigarh being a UT would immediately come under the government led by Modi. He said a lot is needed to be done here, including bringing the Metro.
President of the Chandigarh unit of BJP Sanjay Tandon said, “People from different walks of life and of all ages have come to the rally. The huge crowd indicates that BJP is inching towards victory. The Congress-led government failed to address the important issues of the city like conversion policy, lal dora, land acquisition, SC certificates and housing board issues in the last 15 years. “If you want to have balanced Rent Act, regularization of need-based changes in the houses, affordable housing, slum-free Chandigarh, proper implementation of MSME Act, reduction in VAT, flyovers and underpasses, single-window system and people-friendly administration, then vote for BJP,” he said.
Former MP Satya Pal Jain also took a dig a Congress MP Pawan Kumar Bansal, saying that he had done nothing for the city. He said, “Pawan Bansal’s nephew took bribe just 500 metres from his house. Why was Rs 90 lakh not offered to someone else’s nephew. Bansal should come for an open debate on the rail bribery scam on a venue of his choice.”
Incharge of Chandigarh unit of the party Aarti Mehra meanwhile said, “Agar majboori ka naam hai Mahatma Gandhi, toh majbooti ka naam hai Narendra Modi.”