The councillors of the Bharatiya Janata Party inaugurated three projects at Mauli Jagran, a day before these were to be formally inaugurated by Mayor H C Kalyan. The BJP claimed that the area councillor from their party was not involved with the functions that was to be held. An infuriated Mayor, meanwhile, said that the function scheduled for Monday would be held and only then would the projects be considered formally inaugurated.
The three projects include extension of community centre of Mauli Complex, new community centre of Vikas Nagar and a shopping centre in the area. The BJP councillors along with president of the city unit Sanjay Tandon went to the sites of the three projects and inaugurated these. Plaques with the names of the area councillor Rajinder Kaur Rattu that had been installed were unveiled.
Rattu says, “I had been asking the officials of the Municipal Corporation to inaugurate the projects for the last one month. However, I got no response. Now without involving me the inaugurations were scheduled. I got to know after the cards for the function were printed. I feel that instead of wasting money on organising big functions, it could be done simply as we did on Sunday.”
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
BJP involved the area residents and distributed sweets among them. The expenses were reportedly borne by the area councillor.
Meanwhile, Mayor H C Kalyan said that the function is scheduled for Monday and would be held according to the plan. He said that the works have been completed using funds from the Municipal Corporation and it is not the property of a political party. Projects constructed by the MC can be inaugurated only after asking the Mayor or the Commissioner, he said.
“If the BJP president Sanjay Tandon makes a house, he can get it inaugurated from anyone he wants. However, when it is a work of the MC only the Mayor and Commissioner can decide. The BJP must have this much sense. They should follow the Municipal Act. We will remove any plaques that the BJP has put up as these are illegal,” said the Mayor.
This is not the first time this year that inauguration of projects has led to such ruckus. Last month, BJP councillor Saurabh Joshi invited controversy after he held a foundation stone laying ceremony using bricks with ‘Modi’ embossed on them. Last year, BSP workers held a function to inaugurate the overbridge in Sector 17 a day before the formal inauguration.