The councillors of the Bharatiya Janata Party inaugurated three projects at Mauli Jagran, a day before these were to be formally inaugurated by Mayor H C Kalyan. The BJP claimed that the area councillor from their party was not involved with the functions that was to be held. An infuriated Mayor, meanwhile, said that the function scheduled for Monday would be held and only then would the projects be considered formally inaugurated.
The three projects include extension of community centre of Mauli Complex, new community centre of Vikas Nagar and a shopping centre in the area. The BJP councillors along with president of the city unit Sanjay Tandon went to the sites of the three projects and inaugurated these. Plaques with the names of the area councillor Rajinder Kaur Rattu that had been installed were unveiled.
Rattu says, “I had been asking the officials of the Municipal Corporation to inaugurate the projects for the last one month. However, I got no response. Now without involving me the inaugurations were scheduled. I got to know after the cards for the function were printed. I feel that instead of wasting money on organising big functions, it could be done simply as we did on Sunday.”
BJP involved the area residents and distributed sweets among them. The expenses were reportedly borne by the area councillor.
Meanwhile, Mayor H C Kalyan said that the function is scheduled for Monday and would be held according to the plan. He said that the works have been completed using funds from the Municipal Corporation and it is not the property of a political party. Projects constructed by the MC can be inaugurated only after asking the Mayor or the Commissioner, he said.
“If the BJP president Sanjay Tandon makes a house, he can get it inaugurated from anyone he wants. However, when it is a work of the MC only the Mayor and Commissioner can decide. The BJP must have this much sense. They should follow the Municipal Act. We will remove any plaques that the BJP has put up as these are illegal,” said the Mayor.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
This is not the first time this year that inauguration of projects has led to such ruckus. Last month, BJP councillor Saurabh Joshi invited controversy after he held a foundation stone laying ceremony using bricks with ‘Modi’ embossed on them. Last year, BSP workers held a function to inaugurate the overbridge in Sector 17 a day before the formal inauguration.