The Animal Welfare Board of India (AWBI) has written to the deputy commissioner and police commissioner after having learning of bullock cart races scheduled for Saturday and Sunday in Phallewal village. The Board apprised the authorities of the ban on such races by the Supreme Court of India and asked them to enforce the ban.
In 2014 the apex court had imposed a ban on bullock cart races across the country and refused to lift the ban in January this year too. However, despite this Phallewal village had organised bullock cart races in the same month.
- Bombay HC refuses to grant nod to state to allow bullock cart races
- Bullock cart races: Bombay High Court refuses to vacate stay, asks can law change anatomy of animal
- Bombay High Court restrains Maharashtra government from giving nod to bullock cart race
- Kila Raipur sports festival: ‘Rural Olympics’ begins today, animal welfare board to watch out for violations
- Bullock cart races on despite ban
- Dogs race on as ban bars bullocks
The district administration later clamped down on such games. Bullock cart owners association had organised a dharna as well once outside DC office and later at the venue of Kila Raipur sports festival where the SAD Minister Adesh Partap Singh Kairon had ensured that he will take up the matter in the cabinet while Ludhiana MP Ravneet Bittu had stated that he will take up the matter with Union Government.
Deputy Commissioner Ravi Bhagat said,”We will not let any violation happen and no such race will be organised. Teams from deputy director animal husbandary will check personally and police will maintain law and order.”