Autorickshaw driver, who suffered spinal fractures, dies

Amit, who was 32, leaves behind a three-month-old daughter Diti and wife Neetu.

Written by JAPJEET DUGGAL | Chandigarh | Published: February 10, 2015 4:07:41 am
Wife of Amit Kumar (inset) at GMCH-32 in Chandigarh on Monday. (Source: Express Photo by Sumit Malhotra) Wife of Amit Kumar (inset) at GMCH-32 in Chandigarh on Monday. (Source: Express Photo by Sumit Malhotra)

Amit Kumar, the autorickshaw driver who suffered spinal fractures in the multi-vehicle crash on the Zirakpur flyover last week, died in the Government Medical College and Hospital on Sunday night.

“He suddenly started breathing fast and then stopped. I called the doctor, but it was all over,” said Amar who had sat beside his elder brother’s hospital bed all Sunday.

Amit, who was 32, leaves behind a three-month-old daughter Diti and wife Neetu.

Share This Article
Related Article

He had suffered three fractures in the spine after his autorickshaw was hit by a Mitsubishi Pajero, which was locked in a race with a Hyundai i20, both driven by school boys.

Bhupinder Singh Thapa, a college student whose motorcycle was also hit by the Pajero, had died on the spot. Also killed on the spot was Mankirat Singh, driver of the Pajero, who was flung out of the vehicle from the impact of the accident, and fell more than 30 feet below the flyover.

Samarpreet, driver of the i20, is undergoing treatment at a private hospital in Mohali and is reported out of danger.

On Monday morning, Amit’s brothers Sunil and Amar, along with their sister, waited for his body outside the GMCH morgue. “It was our mother’s death anniversary on February 6. He was our mother’s favourite,” said Sunil.

Sachin Ahluwalia, Neetu’s ex-employer, said, “I got a call around 11.30 pm. Amar said that something had happened to Amit. I reached there and the doctors said that he was no more. Neetu fainted. I dropped her in Sector 31 at Sunil’s residence and came back to help the family to shift the body to the morgue.”

Rashida Khan, one of Amit’s neighbours who was at the hospital, said, “Initially, Amit used to wash cars in the flats in Zirakpur. He also worked with a property dealer. He helped the property dealer in getting a good customer for a flat and, in return, got a handsome commission. With this money, he bought the autorickshaw a few months before his daughter was born.”

She said Amit was still paying EMIs of the autorickshaw which was crushed from the impact of the SUV.

Her husband Yamin Khan said Amit had invited the entire locality to celebrate his daughter’s birth. “The couple had got the daughter three years after their marriage. They were happy in their small world,” he added.

Amit made Neetu leave her peon’s job at Sachin Ahluwalia’s factory and asked her to take care of the child while he took the responsibility of earning a livelihood, said Amit’s sister-in-law.

The relatives were worried how Neetu would now take care of herself and the baby.

After the post-mortem, Amit’s body was handed over to the family and cremated in the evening.

Assistant Sub-Inspector Hans Raj, who is investigating officer of the case, said that two other injured, Pooja and Mohit, were discharged from PGI. Vijan Thapa, Bhupinder Singh Thapa’s friend and pillion-rider, is still admitted to PGI, but doctors said that he was recovering.

For all the latest Chandigarh News, download Indian Express App

Share your thoughts