Eyeing the upcoming civic polls, the BJP-led municipal corporation is set to inaugurate the work of phase V and phase VI of Kajauli waterworks that will bring an additional 29 MGD to Chandigarh. The foundation stone for the work of augmentation of city water supply scheme against phase V and VI from Kajauli waterworks up to waterworks in Sector 39 will be laid on Friday by UT Administrator V P Singh Badnore in the presence of Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar, Chandigarh MP Kirron Kher, Punjab water supply and sanitation minister Surjit Singh Rakhra and Chandigarh mayor Arun Sood.
Watch What else Is Making News
Declaring this as the Diwali gift to the city residents, the mayor said the Chandigarh has two sources of water supply – surface water and ground Water.
Sood said: “The city used to get only ground water through tubewells up to 1983. In 1983, the administration commissioned the first phase of Kajauli Water Works from the Bhakra Main line at a distance of 27.5 km from Chandigarh to provide 20 MGD of water to Chandigarh and its satellite towns of Mohali and Panchkula. Another 20 MGD was commissioned under Phase II in 1988 and the third and the fourth phases were commissioned in 1994 and 2006 to bring in additional water supply of 40 MGD.”
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
At present, 80 MGD water is being drawn from Kajauli Water Works and Chandigarh gets 58 MGD of water from Bhakra Main Canal after
giving due share to Punjab and Haryana as per sharing pattern.
The water consumption per person is more in Chandigarh and it gets difficult to complete the demand especially in the peak summer season.
Sood said the ground water level was depleting every day and it had become important for having additional water.