BY: Vidhya Narayanan
With increasing number of cases of crime against women, the Anti-Trafficking Unit of Women Cell, Chandigarh, has taken an initiative to impart free self-defence training sessions for women around the city.
The cell has already conducted workshops at various educational institutes including GGDSD Public School, Sector 32; Dev Samaj School and College, Sector 36; Guru Gobind School, Sector 35; MCM DAV College, Sector 36; Shishu Niketan School, Sector 22; and Post Graduate Government College for Girls, Sector 11. It plans to hold these classes in all other institutes of the city as well.
“The motive behind these classes is to make women in the city self-reliant in terms of their safety. The classes run for a period of 15 days, during which, we teach them different techniques to protect themselves in case of any attack,” said Deputy Superintendent of Police, Kamala Devi Meena, who is also the supervisor of the programme.
The 15-day training consists of basic karate techniques and judo moves which women can use to escape and, if needed, injure the attacker in order to take time to escape from the scene. They are also given some safety tips, including carrying pepper spray.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
Spokesperson from Ryan International School, Sector 49, which is one of the schools to make these classes compulsory for girl students of class 7 said, “Self-defence has become a pre-requisite these days as its important for students to protect themselves. Our students have become much more confident after taking these classes.”