He got engaged last month and had planned to marry his fiancée by year-end, but destiny had other plans for Amandeep Singh Sidhu, the 27-year-old firefighter who died on Sunday night in the Sector 17 fire, leaving behind inconsolable family members.
A resident of Malout in Punjab, Amandeep had been employed with the Fire Department of the Municipal Corporation for the last seven years. He is survived by his father and two younger brothers.
His father Darshan Singh and brother Gurpreet Singh are employed with the Punjab Police. The second brother is employed in the Punjab government. Amandeep’s friends remember him as a sensible and intelligent person. “He liked his studies and had done double MA. He wanted to do well in his life,” said Iqbal Singh, a friend.
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Audience Reaction: Ranbir, Aishwarya, Anushka Starrer Gets A Thumbs Up
- Bigg Boss 10, October 27 Review: Navin, Lokesh Fights During The Immunity Task
- Shivaay Audience Reaction: Ajay Devgn Impresses Viewers
- Pakistan High Commission Staffer Caught With Defence Documents: What It Means For India & Pakistan
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
A fireman recalled, “Amandeep, a third fireman and I were on the first floor trying to control the fire when the building collapsed. Another fireman and I jumped from the first floor, but Amandeep got buried in the debris.” He added, “I have lost a wonderful colleague and a good friend. I could not save him.”
The doctors who conducted the post-martum said Amandeep’s right hand was cut, which led to heavy loss of blood. “Shock due to haemorrhage, along with suffocation, are the most likely causes of death,” said a doctor.
K K Sharma, Advisor to the Administrator, said Amandeep’s family would be adequately compensated.