Expressing serious concern over the drought like situation prevailing in Punjab in view of the poor monsoon, Congress Deputy Leader in Lok Sabha and Amritsar MP Captain Amarinder Singh today asked the state government to draw up a contingency plan to save the agriculture.
He suggested that the government should order a special timely girdawri to assess the losses to the farmers so that they can be adequately compensated.
In a statement issued from Amritsar today, Capt said it was high time that the state government introduced the crop insurance scheme, which had been pending for a long time and had long been promised by the Akalis.
He pointed out that half of July was over and still there were no rains except mild showers here or there. He said: “Huge area across the state, particularly along the border belts like Amritsar and other areas was facing the worst drought conditions and it was the responsibility of the government to draw up a plan to provide relief.”
The former Chief Minister observed that the state — with a “friendly government” at the Centre — should have no problem in getting a proper contingency plan approved and funded on time.
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swam Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
- J.Jayalalithaa’s Life Journey
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
“Earlier they (the SAD) had the standard excuse of accusing the Centre of non-cooperation, but now with NDA in power, they must not have any problem,” he said.
“I don’t understand what prevents the state government from taking timely initiative as it is wasting precious time,” he remarked, adding, the sooner the government does it the better it would be for the farmers. “Otherwise it will be too late,” he cautioned.