AC explodes during repair at Manimajra shop,five injured

Five persons were injured when a blast occured in the compressor of an air conditioner (AC) at Bengali Sweets,Manimajra.

Written by Express News Service | Chandigarh | Published:May 2, 2013 1:23 am

Five persons were injured when a blast occured in the compressor of an air conditioner (AC) at Bengali Sweets,Manimajra. The blast took place at about 1 pm on Wednesday. The injured were rushed to various hospitals in the city. While four out of the five persons are stable,one of the mechanics who was repairing the AC has sustained multiple injuries and is admitted in PGIMER in a critical condition.

One of the police officials said,“The owner of the shop was getting one of the ACs in the sweet shop repaired. While the mechanics were fixing a problem,there was a blast in the compressor of that AC,which rendered five persons injured”.

Abhishek,18,was admitted in Government Multi-Specialty Hospital (GMSH),Sector 16. The doctors say that his condition is stable.

Two other injured were rushed to the Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER). Gurnam Singh,26,has sustained 10 per cent burns,mostly on his face and is stable,the doctors said. However another person,Sunil Kumar,26,has sustained multiple injuries.

According to the police,Sunil fell from the first floor when the blast took place. He has two fractures in his leg,several injuries on his chest and 10 per cent burns on his face. His condition is still critical,said the doctors.

Two other persons have been admitted in private hospitals in Manimajra.

Station Fire officer SK Gosai said,“One fire tender had reached the spot to avoid any fire. By the time we reached the spot,the injured were already shifted to the hospitals. No one from the shop was co-operating with the fire officers in telling us exactly what happened”.

Gosai added that the Municipal Corporation had sent notices of fire safety violations previously as well. “A major fire broke out in the same shop some years back. The cause of fire was a short circuit and later some fire safety norms violations were found out by the Fire Deparment,” Gosai added.

Video of the day

For all the latest Cities News, download Indian Express App

    Live Cricket Scores & Results