In an accident that occurred at the intersection of sector 17-18 and sector 8-9 on Thursday afternoon, a resident of Sector 50 was crushed under an Army truck. He died on the spot.
Police registered a case of rash driving and causing death due to negligence against the truck driver, who was arrested but was released later.
The accident happened around 2.30 pm. According to Shankar, a rickshaw-puller and an eyewitness, Singh, who was on a two-wheeler, was going out from the service lane towards the Press Light Point. “A military truck was coming from Matka Chowk side and was at a high speed,” said Shankar.
Singh’s two-wheeler was hit by the truck and he went under it. His head was smashed by the differential of the rear axle.
Ramandeep, who works in Sector 17, said, “A college student passing by saw the accident. He covered the body with the turban of the deceased and went away.”
Tsering Gangchuk, a rifle man with the 2 Ladakh Scouts Stalkers, was driving the truck. Gangchuk told Newsline, “I had given an indicator for changing the lane. The co-driver was also giving a hand signal. I do not know what happened”.
Police officials said that a case was registered on the complaint of Major Singh, son of the deceased.
Major Abhishek Pal of 2 Ladakh Scouts Stalkers told Newsline, “We were returning from Hoshiarpur from a field firing exercise. It was a convoy of 19 vehicles. We were returning to Chandimandir base. My vehicle was behind the truck. The driver of the two-wheeler was also at fault.”
Later, a senior officer reached the spot to investigate the matter. Requesting anonymity, he said, “We will take over the case from the local police. After the family of the deceased applies for motor vehicle accident claim tribunal (MACT), the case will be tried in the military court.”
Bhagh Singh, 59, was a resident of Sector 50. He worked with the Census department of the Government of India in Sector 19. According to a relative, Singh was on his way to pick up his wife who works as a teacher at the Government Model Senior Secondary School, Sector 28. He is survived by his wife and two sons.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review