He suffers from 90 per cent disability in his right hand. But still he swims, skates, drive and participates in marathons. His team finds a mention in the Limca Book of Records as the first disabled folk dance troupe in the country.
Jagdish Singh (52), a peon with the UT Sports department since 23 years, was among the 30 people honoured with an award by the administration on Independence day. He was given an award for his contribution to the field of Art and culture.
Founder of the ‘Rising Star Disabled Youth Club’, Jagdish Singh started dancing in 1992. Till date, his group has put up over 400 performances across the country and in New York, United States and Canada.
“We are a group of 20 people. All of them are physically handicapped but this does not stop us from doing what we wish to. We follow ‘Never say quit spirit’ and this is why we have managed to touch many hearts,” said Jagdish Singh.
He added, “I have been into the service since 23 years but my department did not promote me. It is the first time the UT Administration has considered my application. It is my first prize from my own city.”
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
The dancing troupe consists of serving personnel from a range of government services. These include architecture, Chandigarh Transport Undertaking, irrigation, police and sports among others. All of them are aged between 40 and 50 years.
Be it Dhol, Luddi, Jhoomar, Dhola, Bhangra or any other form of folk dance, Jagdish and his team have performed them all. Recently, the team won the youth fest organised by the North Cultural Zone, Patiala, and participated in the National Youth festival too.