Property worth lakhs was gutted in a major fire that broke out in five of the shops in the Sector 54 furniture market in the wee hours of Saturday. Eight fire tenders were rushed to the spot and the fire-fighters had to battle the blaze for four-and-a-half-hours during which fire tenders from Mohali, too, were called. While officials said that the cause of the fire is unknown, the owner of the furniture workshop where the fire started suspects foul play.
Although some workers were sleeping inside two of the shops, they escaped as soon as the fire started and nobody was injured in the incident.
According to officials, some vendors sleeping in the open near the furniture market noticed smoke and fire in one of the furniture shops at around 2 am, after which they informed the fire department. The shops which caught fire have been identified as Bharat Steel furniture, Sunshine Furniture, Balbir Singh & Sons Furniture Workshop, Manku Furniture Workshop and Ram Pravesh Furniture Shop.
Hundreds of goods including steel, wooden and plastic chairs, sofas, beds, plywood, boards, machinery, office furniture, cupboards and other furniture items and equipment were destroyed. Witnesses said that the fire started in the Manku Furniture Workshop and spread to the neighbouring shops.Workshop owner Kamaldeep Singh alleged, “Power supply to the entire market is cut off everyday at 10 pm.
Moreover, we remove all circuits to ensure there is no untoward incident. We strongly suspect that it was a mischief by somebody. Everything that we had is destroyed.”
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More