In a freak incident, two youths who allegedly set a car on fire outside a house in Phase 4 (Sector 59) on Tuesday morning caught the fire themselves.
As the entire episode was captured on a CCTV camera, the youths were later arrested from Nayagaon by the police. One of the accused was severely injured and rushed to PGI while the other was taken into custody as he had a minor burn injury on his hand. The police said the PGI patient suffered around 50 per cent burn injuries.
The Mohali police has booked the youths along with the victim’s landlords who, they alleged, were behind the incident. The accused have been identified as landlords Harbhajan Singh and Inderjeet Kaur, both residents of Phase 4; their driver Sunny Sharma and his friend Sawain Kumar. Amarjeet Singh, the tenant living in Harbhajan’s house, alleged that Sunny and Sawain set the car on fire at the behest of the landlords. He alleged that the same car had also been vandalised a few days ago.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
The incident occurred around 2 am on Tuesday, when the two youths allegedly doused the car with kerosene and set it on fire. While doing so, they accidentally caught the fire themselves and somehow managed to flee the spot.
A neighbour got wind of the incident and rang up Amarjeet. Amarjeet alleged that as he came out, Harbhajan and Inderjeet were shouting at the youths to properly burn the car so that the tenant and his family would vacate the house. He alleged that he was regularly paying the rent but Harbhajan was constantly threatening him to vacate the house.
In his statement, Amarjeet also alleged that Inderjeet beat up his sister-in-law when she was coming out of the house. The police and the fire brigade were informed, the fire was extinguished before it could damage the entire vehicle.
The youths were allegedly caught in the act on a recently installed CCTV camera, and the police managed to trace them to Nayagaon using Harbhajan’s mobile phone. Sunny, the driver, was grievously injured and rushed to PGI. He is currently under treatment. The other youth, Sawain, was arrested from the spot.
A case against all four accused has been registered at the Phase 1 Police Station under sections 436 (mischief by fire with intent to destroy), 427 (mischief causing damage to the amount of fifty rupees), 506 (criminal intimidation) and 120B (criminal conspiracy) of the IPC.
Denying the allegations, Inderjeet Kaur said that they were constantly threatened by the tenants.