Two men, both said to be wanted criminals, were killed and two policemen were injured in an operation conducted by the crime branch of the Chandigarh Police to catch the accused in a robbery case in Moga district of Punjab late on Wednesday evening.
The dead were identified as Sukhdev Singh Ghaccha, who was wanted in Moga and Ludhiana in cases of murder, heroin smuggling, and questionable property dealings, and his gang member Gosha alias Rinku, said Moga SSP G S Sandhu.
The police also caught two men, said DSP Jagbir Singh of Chandigarh crime branch. They have been identified as Gursharan Singh alias Rinku and Paramjit alias Simple. Arms were also recovered from them.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
The injured policemen were Sub-Inspector Rajdeep Singh, who received a bullet in the abdomen, and head constable Surinder Kumar, who got three bullets in his legs.
Both were admitted to the Dayanand Medical College and Hospital in Ludhiana where the condition of Sub-Inspector Rajdeep Singh was stated to be critical.
The Moga SSP said, “A police party from Chandigarh was tracking criminals in a case which was registered on Monday. As the police team reached the Moga-Bagha Purana bypass, the accused were spotted. When the police tried to overpower them, the accused opened fire at the police team.”
The encounter happened around 8 pm near the Radha Swami Dera after the Chandigarh policemen intercepted an SUV.
Immediately, the men in the SUV opened fire. The policemen retaliated. After the shooting, two men were caught and some weapons were seized.
The Moga SSP said that a case of attempt to murder was registered on the complaint of Inspector Ranjodh Singh, in-charge the crime branch of the UT Police.
Chandigarh SSP Sukhchain Singh Gill said the police had gone to Moga to catch the accused in a case of robbery after getting arrest warrants from court.
The team from the police post of Sector 22 was headed by Sub-Inspector Jaspal Singh. In the evening, Sub-Inspector Rajdeep was sent by the crime branch in-charge along with a team after Sub-Inspector Jaspal Singh asked for back-up.
After the shooting, DSP (Crime) Jagbir Singh and DSP (Central) Ashish Kapoor rushed to Moga.