Driver of a Bangalore Metropolitan Transport Corporation (BMTC) bus, who also doubled as its conductor, was arrested after a 23-year old woman jumped off the bus and injured herself.
Local people took the woman to hospital and some BJP leaders alleged it was an attempt-to-rape case. Police said the woman refused to file a report but they have booked the driver and arrested him.
According to reports, on Friday, the woman boarded the bus along with 40 passengers. All other passengers got down at Banashankari and driver Siddharth asked the woman to get down saying the bus will not go any further.
The woman from Uttar Pradesh had to go to Padmanabhanagar. She spoke only Hindi and insisted she be dropped at Padmanabhanagar resulting in an argument with the driver. The driver turned the bus to return towards Kempegowda and the woman tried to jump out of a window. Siddarth, according to BMTC, tried to prevent her by holding her hands but she bit his hands and jumped out. The driver drove towards Kempegowda.
Local residents alerted control room and rushed the injured woman to KIMS, from where she was discharged.
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swam Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
- J.Jayalalithaa’s Life Journey
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
Police said they initially took up an attempt-to-rape case against the driver. The woman said he had not molested or attempted to rape her, police said. She refused to lodge a complaint.
The police took suo motu cognisance and arrested the driver and produced him in a court, which remanded him in judicial custody.
BMTC suspended Siddarth, and two others traffic inspector at depot-9 (Peenya) Puttaraju and Traffic controller at Kempegowda Bus Stand Parameshwaraiah for operating a single-crew bus, said BMTC Managing Director Anjum Parwez.
BJP alleged it was an attempt-to-rape case which police and BMTC were trying to hush up.
“Police are trying to hush up the matter. Siddharth is notorious for sexually harassing women passengers. We visited the hospital to meet the victim to know her version but police did not allow us. Instead, they allowed transport minister Ramalinga Reddy to meet her,” BJP spokesperson Malavika Avinash said.
BJP members met city police commissioner Raghavendra Auradhkar who told them police have booked Siddarth for attempt to assault with the intent to outrage modesty, besides slapping attempt to murder and wrongful confinement charges on him though the woman had refused to register a complaint.