Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah on Tuesday courted a fresh controversy over the alleged rape of a 6-year-old in a city public school, as he asked the media if it did not have any other issue.
“Except that, don’t you have any other issue? Is this the only news you have? RPT Is this the only news you have?” Siddaramaiah snapped back at reporters who sought to know the latest on the case that has evoked public outrage and drawn criticism of his government for not acting swiftly.
The girl was allegedly raped, on July 2 at high-profile Vibgyor High School here, while the complaint was lodged with the police on July 14.
Amid growing public anger against the police, the first arrest came on July 20 – of skating instructor Mustafa, who hails from Bihar.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
On Friday last, Siddaramaiah found himself in an embarrassing spot as video footage on TV channels showed him apparently dozing off during a debate on sexual offences against women in the Assembly.
Siddaramaiah was seen in the video grab tilting his head in the front with eyes closed as the House was immersed in a debate with the opposition BJP going hammer and tongs against the government over a spate of recent sexual offence cases and gunning for the resignation of Home Minister K J George.
The video shot was aired by TV channels but the Chief Minister had said he was not napping and was “very much attentive” listening to the debate.
Siddaramaiah’s government has come under attack from the opposition parties over the Vibgyor school incident and alleged rape of a 22-year-old woman in a car and of a 16-year-old nun at a seminary in recent days.
Asked about invoking the Goonda Act in sexual offence cases, he said, “Wherever the Goonda Act is to be invoked, it will be invoked.”
About BJP going on protest against government’s “failure” to check the increasing number of rape cases in the state, Siddaramaiah said, “The main opposition party is politicising the issue.”