Recent entrant to BJP and economist Subramanian Swamy on Sunday accused Bangalore South Congress candidate Nandan Nilekani of making the Aadhaar card a poll issue and then objecting to questions raised on it by rival parties.
Nilekani “should not have campaigned on UIDAI in this election and having done so he must be ready to face the attacks,’’ said Swamy. He called for a commission of inquiry at a later date to go into the entire Aadhaar card project to find out if it had been mis-utilised.
Swamy called the UIDAI “the most useless scheme as judged by a study done by the IIM-Ahmedabad and a Standing Committee of Parliament on finance.”
“In my opinion Nilekani should be prosecuted under Section 13 (1) (d) part 3 of the Prevention of Corruption Act for squandering national resources to US-based companies involved,” he said. “Some Rs 3,000 crore has been spent but so far there has been no accounting, commission of inquiry at a later date be able to find out about the funds,’’ he said.
The BJP leader also attacked his bête noire finance minister P Chidambaram saying the Congress minister had left the country’s economy in a mess.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
“We are in a very, very delicate situation and the new government will have to undertake major economic reforms to rectify what damage the UPA has done to Indian economy,” Swamy said.
“We are in a complete mess and the most alarming part of today’s situation is that the budget has been put in such a difficult and bad state by Chidambaram,’’ he said. “A situation of bankruptcy has descended on the Indian economy and things will have to be rectified in six months,” he said.
“We were affected by the instrument created by Chidambaram that was called participatory note. Participatory note is a method of laundering money that goes out of India to bring it back and invest it in our stock market,” Swamy said.
“The crisis was entirely due to the UPA in creating an instrument, a derivative called participatory note. It is the most dangerous money laundering weapon created in any country. Tomorrow we abolish participatory notes and this crisis will disappear,’’ he said.