The Karnataka government is considering introduction of a state law prohibiting child labor in order to plug loop holes in the existing Child Labour (Prohibition and Regulation) Act (CLA), 1986, Karnataka chief minister Siddaramaiah said here on Thursday while addressing a meeting in connection with World Anti-Child Labour Day.
“Specifically in Karnataka business activities have spilled over into new and diverse areas over the past 20 years and the 1986 Act is vague and does not define work hazards for children in new industries. A few people are using these loopholes to employ children for labour and are getting away with the offences,” Siddaramiah said.
Reacting to a submission by the state labour department that though 19038 cases had been booked against violators of the child labor law since 2001 only four had resulted in were imprisonment. Apart from increasing the penalty and imprisonment term a new law is needed against employers of children, Siddaramaiah said. The Karnataka chief minister said that the government will discuss achieving better conviction rates with prosecutors and the law department.
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
- PM Modi Meets New Zealand Prime Minister John Key
- Ex-Arunachal CM Kalikho Pul Left Behind “Secret Notes” Before He Was Found Hanging: Rajkhowa
- Big Relief For Former Karnataka CM BS Yeddyurappa: Here’s Why
- Missing For Three Days, JNU Student Found Dead In Hostel Room