The Mandya police have arrested two women in connection with the murder of an 18-year-old woman.
The arrested women — mother and aunt of the deceased woman’s husband — allegedly strangulated, stabbed and burnt alive the victim over her marriage. The victim, Shilpa, who belonged to Scheduled Tribe, had recently married Abhijith, who belonged to a Scheduled Caste community, after they met in Mysore.
During investigation, police found that Abhijith’s parents and relatives were unhappy with his marriage. The family plotted the murder when they learnt that Shilpa had been subjected to a child marriage earlier. Abhijith’s mother Nagamma and aunt Prameela have been arrested and have confessed to the crime. The main accused, Abhijith’s father Billaiah and his brother Puttaswamy are still at large, police said.
Shilpa had eloped and married Abhijith, 20, on January 1, 2014. Abhijith had been working in an automobile workshop in Mysore when he met Shilpa, an employee at a factory near the workshop. Both families had opposed the marriage and hence, the couple had initially lived separately in Mysore.
Abhijith’s relatives were intent on separating the couple and after a while put up a facade of acceptance of Shilpa, police said. On Tuesday, Shilpa told her family she was going on a tour to Karnataka with her in-laws and their relatives.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
A statement given by Shilpa prior to her death Thursday says they were on their way to Mysore when her in-laws and relatives stopped their vehicle in an isolated area near Uppanahalli village. When Shilpa disembarked from the vehicle, Puttaswamy tried to strangulate her with a rope, but she managed to escape and ran. She was chased by the accused and stabbed in the neck with a knife but she managed to run some more before falling. The accused then allegedly poured petrol on her and set her ablaze.