Tuesday, Sep 16, 2014

Home minister for CID probe, CM disagrees

Written by Santosh Kumar R B | Bangalore | Posted: May 22, 2014 4:28 am | Updated: May 22, 2014 4:29 am

An ongoing probe by the central crime branch into a scam involving the blocking of seats in medical colleges affiliated to the Consortium of Medical Engineering and Dental Colleges in Karnataka through the use of fake candidates for entrance tests may be handed over to the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) of Karnataka soon. A decision in this regard is pending with the government due to a difference of opinion between Home minister K J George and Chief Minister Siddaramaiah.

Police sources said the Home minister is keen to hand over the case to the CID since the agency investigated a similar scam last year. CM Siddaramaiah, however, differs with the Home minister and suggested the CCB police must be allowed to complete the probe.

“The scam involves a big racket and lot of the accused are from other states. Transferring of cases with inter state links to the CID is better from an investigation perspective,” a police officer said.

Meanwhile, Home minister KJ George said the government will take action against those who are involved in the scams in 2013 and 2014. “We have not fixed any time limit on the investigating agencies to furnish a report about the cases. We will take necessary action once the government receives a report about the scam. We will not spare even the management of any medical colleges is established in the investigation,” said George.

comments powered by Disqus
Featured ad: Discount Shopping
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 928 other followers