The Karnataka government on Saturday appointed a senior police officer, K S Charan Reddy, to head a special investigation team under state Lokayukta to probe the findings of a 2011 Lokayukta report on illegal mining as per recommendations of the report.
The appointment of Charan Reddy as the head of an SIT on illegal mining was part of a series of sweeping changes effected in the state police department Saturday by the government, including the transfer of Inspector General of Police of northeastern range Mohammed Wazir Ahmed, who came under criticism for the handling of a January 8 encounter with a gangster in Gulbarga that lead to the death of police sub-inspector Mallikarjun Bande.
The decision for creation of the SIT was taken by the Congress government recently after the erstwhile BJP government, which is at the heart of the findings involving illegal mining, failed to act on a July 27, 2011 report of the Lokayukta recommending full-fledged investigation into its preliminary findings.
IGP (western range) Prathap Reddy has now been transferred to replace Charan Reddy as the secretary of the home department. In another important reshuffle, the state government has appointed a new officer to head its internal security division by bringing back additional director general of police Amar Kumar Pandey to the ISD where he had served as IGP in the formative days of the internal security division. Pandey will replace T Suneel Kumar who has been posted as ADGP civil rights enforcement.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016