Congress leader RL Jalappa, who retired from politics in 2009, is now actively supporting M Veerappa Moily, the party candidate from the Chikkaballapur Lok Sabha constituency, where he is locked in a fierce electoral battle with the BJP’s BN Bachegowda and JD(S) leader HD Kumaraswamy.
Jalappa, four-time MP from Chikkaballapur and former Union minister for textiles in HD Devegowda’s cabinet, met his supporters and ward leaders at the RL Jalappa Institute of Technology (RLJIT), Doddaballapur, on Thursday and asked them to work for the Congress candidate.
Jalappa confirmed to National Standard that he has been reaching out to his supporters to help Moily win. “Moily had met me and asked for my support. I am still a Congressman and I have told my supporters to work for the party to help him win,” Jalappa said.
He clarified, however, that he will not attend any campaigns. “I told Moily that I will not participate in any campaigns. But I will help through my supporters,” he added.
Chikkaballapur is a highly-watched battlefield this election, with big political names vying for the constituency. Sources said Moily, realising it wouldn’t be an easy fight this time, is pulling all possible strings to secure a win.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
“Kumaraswamy first contested from Ramanagaram, then tried his luck by fielding his wife Anitha Kumaraswamy for both the Assembly and the Lok Sabha elections, and failed. Now he has come to Chikkaballapur and he will have to wait for his luck,” Jalappa said.
Jalappa represented the Chikkaballapur parliamentary constituency from 1996 to 2009, after which Moily took over. Jalappa was elected in 1996 from Janata Dal and in 1998, 1999 and 2004 from the Congress party. “I stopped contesting after I found the role of Vitamin M (money) increasing,” Jalappa said.