Five construction laborers were killed and eight others injured when the compound wall of an under-construction residential apartment fell on their temporary sheds at Chokkanahalli Layout in North-East Bengaluru on Sunday night.
Deputy Commissioner of Police (North-East division) Vikash Kumar Vikash said that the deceased were identified as Ajith Pradhan, 46, Mithun, 19, natives of Jharkand and Dulal, 23, Shankar Mandal, 37 and Tutal Mandal, 23, from West Bengal. Accordiong to the police over 300 workers from West Bengal, Jharkhand and other parts of the country were working at the construction site for a project undertaken by RR Signature Construction Company.
- At least four dead in pedestrian bridge collapse at Florida International University; rescue operation underway
- Pune best governed, Bengaluru worst, Delhi improves: Study
- Bengaluru rural: At least three killed in building collapse, many feared trapped
- Antara Das murder case: Over a year later, no leads; police say only suspect may be discharged soon
- Authorities: Eight dead at south China subway construction site
- Bengaluru realtor arrested for selling fake sites to housing forum members
The police have taken up a criminal case against the owner of the building, the project manager, site engineer, safety supervisor and others. “We have registered a case under the provision of section 288, 337, 338 and 304a of the Indian Penal Code,” DCP Vikash Kumar said. “Crushed stone was stored adjacent to a compound wall. Due to the pressure of the crushed stone and the heavy rains on Sunday night the wall collapsed and caused the deaths of innocent workers,” police said.
The incident which occurred at around 8.30 pm killed three persons on the spot and two more died at a nearby private hospital. Fire and emergency services personnel found many laborers trapped under the debris and rescued them with the help of hundreds of other workers present at the spot.