Over a dozen homeless people who spent winter in a night shelter run by the city corporation are facing the threat of being turned out in summer due to BBMP’s inability to pay dues and failure to renew a contract for maintenance of the shelter. The contract expired on February 28.
People at the shelter on JC Road said over the past week, they have been informed they could be evicted because the contract with Indo Global Social Service Society to run the facility expired on February 28. Unless BBMP or a relevant agency makes payment, they will be evicted, they were told.
With water supply gone and power connection set to be cut, they see conspiracy. Some occupants tried to contact IGSSS but did not receive any response. Since March 3, the occupants, most of them semi-literate labourers, rickshaw drivers, cobblers, and petty workers at the city market have been trying to contact people at the NGO as well as BBMP.
“Officials are visiting the shelter and telling us we would be evicted. There has been no response from authorities or the NGO,’’ said Ravi S, one of the residents and a sort of inn keeper at the shelter.
BBMP Commissioner M Lakshminarayana, however, said the occupants of the night shelter had been asked to vacate the place for a few days for maintenance work.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More