Former Prime Minister H D Deve Gowda Wednesday joined the four-day-old protests against the toll hike on the NHAI expressway leading to the Kempegowda International Airport. Gowda joined various organisations, including pro-Kannada groups, in demanding a roll-back in the nearly fourfold hike in toll on the highway. The former PM said the toll hike would hit taxi drivers and called for the state government to intervene without passing the buck to the Union ministry.
Earlier, the protest by pro-Kannada groups resulted in one activist of the Karnataka Rakshana Vedike (KRV) vandalising a couple of toll booths. The KRV and Suvarna Karnataka Rakshana Vedike workers have been part of the protests since it started Sunday.
A person identified as Srinivas, who smashed the glass enclosures at two toll booths, was arrested by Chikkajala police, who registered a criminal case against him for damaging private property. The police took more than 50 KRV workers into preventive custody.
A decision to ease the toll hike by one-third for regular users, including taxis, which was announced Tuesday has failed to stem the protests. Police have stepped up security in and around the toll plazas on the highway. The state government has expressed helplessness in rolling back the hike since it is part of an agreement between the National Highways Authority of India and the concessionaire.
The toll for cars on the 22 km expressway stretch, which is part of a 37 km commute from Bangalore to the city’s international airport, was hiked from Rs 30 to Rs 115 last Saturday night.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016