A special court trying a Rs 66.65 crore disportionate assets case dating back to 1997 against Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa on Friday questioned the prosecution on why it was only insistent on production of 1061 kg of seized silver in court but not hundreds of seized sarees and footwear.
The court made the observation while posting to February 28 for orders an interim application filed by the state public prosecutor, which has sought production of 1061 kg of silver articles found in Jayalalitha’s possession in 1997.
An official of the DMK, rival party to Jayalalitha’s AIADMK, who has intervened in the case as a third party, has filed a memo in court against the prosecutor’s plea for production of the seized silver articles and has accused the prosecution of being hand-in-glove with the accused in attempting to delay the trial of the case.
The SPP in the case, Bhavani Singh, who is prosecuting the case for the Tamil Nadu directorate of vigilance, had earlier this month filed an interim application in the special court seeking the production of the seized silver.
Around 23 kg of gold and diamond articles, 750 pairs of shoes, 10,500 sarees, 91 watches and other items — numbering upto 469 in a material objects list were also seized.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
On Friday, both the Tamil Nadu directorate of vigilance and DMK produced certificates to establish the death of Jayalalitha’s former secretary V Bhaskaran. The department of vigilance had on February 15 filed a report saying V Bhaskaran was untraceable.
The court on Friday asked the prosecution whether it intends to also ask for production of the seized sarees and footwear as well once a ruling on the silver articles is issued.