A 51-year-old tour guide has been arrested by Cubbon Park police for allegedly stealing a brand-new Nissan Terrano from the company’s showroom on Kasturba Road.
Police said the accused, Filakal Nazeer, a resident of BTM Layout, lived in Bahrain before settling down in Bangalore many years ago. He has since been involved in several vehicle thefts in the city.
Police had no trouble identifying him from a portrait prepared on the basis of information provided by the Nissan showroom staff.
On the evening of December 31, 2013, two employees of the showroom had just washed the SUV, worth Rs 10.69 lakh, and readied it to be handed over to a customer, when a well-dressed Nazeer walked in and drove away with the car.
Four members of the staff, including the two washing boys, saw him flee with the SUV, but could not stop him. They described the thief to the police, who identified him as Nazeer and arrested him from Mico Layout.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
They also seized the stolen SUV from him.
Police said Nazeer had parked the stolen SUV near his residence and covered it with a sheet. He had intended to sell the car to a customer from Kerala. “Luckily we caught him before he sold it,” a police officer said.
Police added that Nazeer is a native of Kerala, brought up in Bangalore city. He lived in Bahrain for a few years before returning to India.
Besides making easy money by selling stolen cars, he also worked as a guide and interpreter for tourists from the Middle East, police said. He was involved in car theft cases registered by Mico Layout, Rajajinagar, Ashoka Nagar, Basavanagudi and other police stations.
He also allegedly stole cars from showrooms in Mumbai and Chennai.
The Nissan Terrano, which was stolen from the showroom, has been handed over to the complainant. Nazeer was produced before a court, which remanded him in judicial custody. A further probe into the case is underway.