A 51-year-old tour guide has been arrested by Cubbon Park police for allegedly stealing a brand-new Nissan Terrano from the company’s showroom on Kasturba Road.
Police said the accused, Filakal Nazeer, a resident of BTM Layout, lived in Bahrain before settling down in Bangalore many years ago. He has since been involved in several vehicle thefts in the city.
Police had no trouble identifying him from a portrait prepared on the basis of information provided by the Nissan showroom staff.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
On the evening of December 31, 2013, two employees of the showroom had just washed the SUV, worth Rs 10.69 lakh, and readied it to be handed over to a customer, when a well-dressed Nazeer walked in and drove away with the car.
Four members of the staff, including the two washing boys, saw him flee with the SUV, but could not stop him. They described the thief to the police, who identified him as Nazeer and arrested him from Mico Layout.
They also seized the stolen SUV from him.
Police said Nazeer had parked the stolen SUV near his residence and covered it with a sheet. He had intended to sell the car to a customer from Kerala. “Luckily we caught him before he sold it,” a police officer said.
Police added that Nazeer is a native of Kerala, brought up in Bangalore city. He lived in Bahrain for a few years before returning to India.
Besides making easy money by selling stolen cars, he also worked as a guide and interpreter for tourists from the Middle East, police said. He was involved in car theft cases registered by Mico Layout, Rajajinagar, Ashoka Nagar, Basavanagudi and other police stations.
He also allegedly stole cars from showrooms in Mumbai and Chennai.
The Nissan Terrano, which was stolen from the showroom, has been handed over to the complainant. Nazeer was produced before a court, which remanded him in judicial custody. A further probe into the case is underway.