On a visit to Karnataka to highlight the initiatives of the ruling UPA government in bringing development to the impoverished Hyderabad-Karnataka region, UPA chairperson and Congress president Sonia Gandhi launched an attack on the opposition BJP — accusing the BJP of indulging in “zeher ki kheti” (sowing seeds of poison) to attain power, here on Saturday.
Addressing a rally in Gulbarga, located in Hyderabad-Karnataka region, the Congress president claimed that while other parties hankered after power, the Congress was concerned about the country.
The BJP and other parties are hungry for power and are willing to sow the seeds of poison to achieve it, she said.
“I want to ask those who are constantly beating their own drums whether they intend to do good for the country. Their only aim is to capture power and they will resort to any kind of conspiracy to achieve it. You have to be wary of these people and their intentions,” the UPA chairperson said.
“I believe that you will not allow those dividing society for their politics to succeed,” she said.
The impoverished Hyderabad-Karnataka region, where the UPA has set in motion a series of initiatives including special development status to ensure more employment and funds for the region, is considered as a key region for the Congress in the parliament polls this year.
The region encompassing the districts of Bidar, Gulbarga, Yadgir, Raichur, Koppal and Bellary has a sizeable minorities and backward caste population, whom the Congress view as its traditional vote base.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
“We are concerned about alleviating poverty and self-respect for the poor. We want to foster brotherhood among all communities and maintain peace. So, we are in a position to speed up development in country,” Gandhi said.
The BJP, while being a part of the NDA government, had rejected the demand to give the Hyderabad-Karnataka region a special status but the UPA had promised to deliver on this demand of the region and has done so, the AICC president said.
“The Congress is concerned about the future of Hyderabad-Karnataka. Rahulji (Gandhi) had promised and as per constitutional provisions, we gave special status to Gulbarga, Yadgir, Raichur, Koppal, Bellary and Bidar districts,” she said.
She blamed the previous BJP government in Karnataka for being mired in corruption and failing to make central schemes like the NREGA available to people.
Sonia Gandhi inaugurated an ESI Medical College and the buildings of ESI Hospital, Dental College, and Nursing College, constructed at a cost of Rs 893 crore, during her visit Saturday.