A group of some 150 bikers took out a rally here Sunday to protest racial discrimination against people from the Northeast.
The campaign — Bikers Against Racial Discrimination — by Brotherhood of Bulleteers Motorcycling Consortium featured several people from the Northeast and was organised against the backdrop of the recent attack on Nido Tania of Arunachal Pradesh.
“Racial violence is faced by us every day in Bangalore and other cities. The recent exodus of thousands of Northeast people from Bangalore indicates the kind of constant fear we live in. Ours is a struggle against discrimination, ours is a struggle for justice and peace,” said professor Rini Ralte, a Mizo living in Bangalore for years.
“I have never faced racial discrimination in the biking community. I am proud to be a part of this community and want the larger society to learn to accept people who are different. If you want to understand people, you should visit their places and meet them, spend time with them. Then only one will start to understand that they are as beautiful as you,” said Bishwajit Singh Rajkumar, a biker from Manipur.
Another biker from Manipur Ringo Pebam said people from the Northeast faced constant insults, sexual harassment, physical violence and humiliation in other parts of the country.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
“People here know very little about the Northeast, our history, culture, food habits, languages. People don’t know that India is home to different races. We demand changes in school and college curricula to include information about the Northeast, so that all Indians become aware of us. The government should educate society about Northeast people through mass media,” he said.