Two women were killed and seven others, including a four-year-old girl, were injured when a 27-year-old software engineer allegedly ran over them on Hosur Road near Bommanahalli.
The engineer, who has been identified as Karthik, was coming from Vellore to register for the TCS World 10K marathon.
Police said Karthik, who was allegedly speeding, first hit a couple of people crossing the road before losing control and hitting people standing by the roadside. The accident took place around 9 am.
- Mother and girls ‘thrown off’ train: Woman’s body found on tracks; brother, his friend booked
- Bangalore: At least seven killed in house collapse, many feared trapped
- Odisha techie stabbed to death over road rage: Police
- Jammu and Kashmir: Grenade attack kills two, close call for minister
- Techie killed while avoiding pothole in Bengaluru
- Bomb blast in Bangalore: Woman killed in explosion had extended her holiday
The deceased were identified as Radhamma, 59, and her daughter-in-law Saumya, 29. They were residents of Hennagara in southeast Bengaluru and were going to visit a relative with Saumya’s daughter Sanvi, 4, who was injured, police said.
Radhamma died on the spot while Saumya was declared dead at a nearby hospital, police added.
All the others who were injured are employees of garment factories in the area. They were rushed to a nearby hospital by members of the public.
Hebbagodi police said Karthik, who works at a firm in Vellore and was driving a Honda City, has been arrested.
Police claimed he was unable to avoid the pedestrians as he was driving at a high speed.