A ruling Congress MLA who was accused of assaulting two constables in a brawl at a bar last week, resurfaced in Bangalore on Sunday days after he was reported absconding.
Vijayanand Kashappannavar, the Congress MLA from the Hungund Constituency in north Karnataka, who had gone missing following the filing of a case against him, on Sunday maintained that he was not dodging the police and was ready to face any probe.
He is accused of assaulting two policemen who tried to enforce a 1 am night life-deadline at the Skyye Bar and Restaurant in central Bangalore on July 1 where the MLA was hosting his birthday party.
- Samajwadi Party Crisis Deepens: Here’s How It Will Impact UP Polls
- 24 Maoists Killed In Encounter In Odisha
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
The issue of the MLA’s assault on the police and the failure of the Congress government in Karnataka in ensuring his detention had rocked the state legislature on Friday. The issue was threatening to disrupt the House proceedings on Monday as the opposition BJP threatened today to throw a legislature session out of gear over the issue.
Following his re-emergence at his Bangalore residence on Sunday, Kashappanavar claimed that he had not received any summons from the police in the Skyye Bar assault case where he is the prime accused along with a criminal history sheeter associate Some Gowda.
“I am very much in Bangalore…I will be here. Being the legislator, I am answerable to people. I am not running away,” he said claiming that he was available to the police for investigation whenever necessary.
The opposition BJP has accused the ruling Congress government of delaying proceedings against Kashappanavar in an effort to enable the MLA and his associates to obtain anticipatory bail in the assault case. The case registered by the Cubbon Park police has been transferred to the Central Crime Branch.
The police have in their complaint stated that the Skyye Bar was serving alcohol beyond the 11 am deadline for liquor on weekdays at the insistence of the MLA. When police arrived to shut the bar after the 1 am deadline for dinner, the MLA and his associates roughed up two police constables and abused them.