After remaining underground for almost a week, the Congress MLA, booked for assaulting two policemen at a popular bar in Bangalore on July 1, appeared before the police for questioning here on Monday.
Vijayanand Kashappanavar, the MLA from Hungund in north Karnataka, was celebrating his birthday at Skyye Bar and Pub in central Bangalore on the night of July 1 when he allegedly assaulted two police constables as they tried to enforce the closure deadline for bars and pubs in the city.
Sources in the police said Kashappanavar was asked around 80 questions over a period of four and a half hours by Assistant Commissioner of Police (Organised Crime Wing) K P Ravikumar and other officials. Kashappanavar reportedly told police that he was at the bar because his family had organised a surprise birthday party for him. He denied the presence of Some Gowda, a rowdy sheeter and co-accused in the assault case, at the party. He also claimed that he never invited Gowda to his party.
Sources said Kashappanavar would not be arrested as he has begun cooperating with the police. “According to the laid procedure, police can arrest any accused person if he does not cooperate with the investigation when he is facing charges that attract a prison term below seven years. All the charges against Kashappanavar entail imprisonment of less than seven years,” a police officer said on the condition of anonymity.
Police sources said staff and other persons at the Skyye Bar have been questioned too. The investigators are making efforts to nab Gowda, sources said.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review