A 70-year-old South Korean national, who is a director of a Christian missionary enterprise in Bangalore, was arrested by the police on Sunday in connection with a rape case registered against him by a 24-year-old victim a year ago.
The South Korean, identified as Do Woong Choie was the director of Peace House Ashram at Bhairathi Bande in East Bangalore.
Choie is accused of raping the victim more than a decade ago when she was a minor and a resident of the Peace House orphanage that was being run by Choie.
The victim had last year mustered the support of local Dalit organizations to file a police complaint alleging that she was raped by the South Korean while she was under his care at an orphanage that has now been shut down.
The victim alleged in her complaint that Choie along with another employee at the orphanage had threatened her to remaining silent when she was a teenager.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
The arrest of Choie was made by the police after Manual Joysing, who was an employee at the orphanage and an alleged abettor of the sex crimes of Choie was arrested a few months ago.
Police claimed that the arrest of Choie had been delayed on account of doubts over whether the case was genuine or fake since an internal dispute was on at a new church started by Choie. “There was a land dispute between Choie and a private organisation. There were allegations that some vested interests were behind the allegations to teach the South Korean a lesson. We have verified this angle and finally arrested Choie,” the Assistant Commissioner of Police (Sampigehalli sub-Division) R N Nataraj said.
“The victim stated in her complaint that she was residing at the orphanage since 9 years of age. She said that Choie began sexually harassing her from the time she was 13-year-old. The South Korean allegedly raped the victim frequently at the orphanage till she was a 19-year-old. The accused also allegedly filmed the rape incidents on his camera. The victim left the orphanage at the age of 19 after marrying a construction worker who worked at the orphanage,” police said.
According to the victim, her husband later abandoned her after learning that she had been sexually manipulated and raped at the orphanage. A Dalit organisation finally took up her case and complained to the police.