The Supreme Court Friday said it will look into the plea for a CBI probe into the alleged snooping controversy involving the Gujarat government only after verifying that suspended 1984 batch IAS officer Pradeep Sharma has complied with its order to delete “scurrilous” allegations against Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
Sharma, a staunch critic of the Modi government, has urged the court to urgently hear his plea on the contentious audio tapes aired by news portals Cobrapost and Gulail featuring alleged illegal surveillance of a woman. Sharma is facing several cases lodged by the Gujarat government, including one for attempting to flee the country on a fake passport.
The Bench also refused Sharma’s plea to allow him to travel to the US to meet his wife and son, who are American citizens, saying his application for CBI probe can only be considered after examining that he has complied with its May 12, 2011 order.
Since the amended petition was not available during the hearing, a Bench comprising Justices Ranjana Prakash Desai and M B Lokur said, “Let us see whether you have first complied with our order or not. We want to go through the amended petition.”
Sharma’s counsel Prashant Bhushan contended that the gist of the allegation against Modi was necessary to show the alleged malafide by the Gujarat government which has foisted false cases against the suspended officer and his brother Kuldeep Sharma, a senior IPS officer who refused to lodge cases against dancer Mallika Sarabhai.
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest