The Ahmedabad Crime Branch arrested Sunil Kakkad, the wanted chairman and managing director of IT firm Sai Infosystem (Pvt) Ltd, and brought him from Liberia to Ahmedabad early on Monday.
Kakkad was on the run after cheating 1400 employees of his company without paying salaries and arrears and siphoned off nearly Rs. 40 crores to other privately owned companies.
Kakkad was arrested at the Liberia airport last week due to an Interpol notice issued against him. He was wanted in the city for two cheating cases in addition to other complaints from several banks in Ahmedabad that gave loans to Kakkad for business projects.
The CID (Crime) team of State Police had received information from Liberia that Kakkad had tried to board a flight and he was arrested by the airport authorities. The CID had formed a team of crime branch officers to go to Liberia to take Kakkad into custody.
Kakkad was brought in Qatar Airways by the officers, where he allegedly created ruckus on the flight. When the aircraft halted at Casablanca airport at Morocco, Kakkad began shouting and screaming, and it prompted the airport authorities to intervene and ask crime branch officials and Kakkad to get off the flight.
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
However, when the senior authorities from the crime branch spoke to the Qatar Airways, the team was allowed to board the flight back to bring him to Ahmedabad.
Kakkad was ‘missing’ from June 18, 2013, along with his family, after duping 1400 employees of his company without paying them salaries for nine months and other arrears.
Two senior employees of SIS, former Associate Vice President Amit Mathur and former senior Vice President Sangeet Nigam had given written complaints to the Ahemdabad Crime Branch charging Kakkad and his brother Sameer Kakkad, former Director Prem Behl and Bageshree Bhupen Savani, former PA to the CMD.
Later, a Haryana-based dealer to SIS had registered a complaint against the company for cheating him of Rs 1.10 crore when they failed to pay the dues. Moreover, the company also faced cheating allegation from the Industrial Finance branch of State Bank of India (SBI) which alleged that the company mortgaged the same assets to more than one institution.
According to police, Kakkad had taken loans worth Rs 794.32 crore from SBI, State Bank of Bikaner and Jaipur, IDBI, Bank of Baroda, Corporation Bank and Allahabad Bank for the flagship company, Rs 97 crore for Attrium Corporation and Rs 144 crore for Click Trekkon.
The police said that before absconding from the country, Kakkad “transferred” around Rs 27.83 crore, from Sai Info account with State Bank of India, Ahmedabad, to his various group companies named Tanya, Swan, Power Info, Cameo, and Blue Eye. He had also transferred Rs 10 crore from his another group company, Click Telecom Pvt Ltd, to a third group company Power Info and Rs. 2 crore from the account of his another group company Atrium InfoComm Pvt Ltd, to Power Info-Control & Services Pvt Ltd.
The police further said that the complainants had informed that Kakkad had set up SIS Global (USA), INC in Oak Brook, Illinois, SIS Global (FZE) in UAE and Kompac Technologies Ltd in Hong Kong.
The complainants had told police that Kakkad gave “fabricated” balance sheets for the last two fiscal years to reflect huge profits and to cheat the employees, bankers and government-owned companies”.
Kakkad, an electronics and communications engineer had set up the company in 1992 that grew to be the biggest ICT solutions providers. The company was said to be at the peak of its revenue in Rs. 1500 crores in 2010-11 and started facing the crunch in August 2012.