The signs of trouble escalated for the BJP in Ahmedabad two days after the party replaced sitting Ahmedabad East MP Harin Pathak with actor Paresh Rawal in its list for April 20 LS elections. Dehgam, an assembly constituency under this LS seat, observed bandh on the call given by Pathak’s local BJP supporters on Monday. The BJP, however, has begun the damage control by organising Mumbai-based Rawal’s visit to Ahmedabad East on Tuesday.
According to reports, the town largely remained closed, except for schools, where annual examinations are either on or approaching. Shutters of shops and other commercial establishment remained down as the police did the patrolling. On Sunday, Pathak’s supporters had burned down Rawal’s effigy.
“Some supporters were against the candidature of Rawal and they called for bandh. The BJP unit had not called for bandh,” said Dehgam taluka president Bimal Amin. He added, “The BJP unit is not against Rawal’s candidature. We will be present at the airport to welcome Rawal on Tuesday”.
Pathak, when contacted by The Indian Express, was not available for comment. Seen as a loyalist of party patriarch Lal Krishna Advani, a disappointed Pathak on Sunday had announced to decide the future course after consulting his supporters in three days. Pathak, who has represented Ahmedabad East for seven consecutive terms, alleged that “turncoats” have been favoured against the loyal party workers. While Ahmedabad East has remained BJP’s bastion, Congress candidate Kaminiba Rathod won from Dehgam in the Assembly elections in 2012.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review