The Ahmedabad Crime Branch arrested three persons for allegedly extorting money posing as policemen from last few months in the city.
The police also seized mobile phones and cash amounting worth over Rs 53,000.
The accused have been identified as Sanjay Makwana, Syedali Mansurali and Anita Solanki, residents of Jivraj Park, Ramol and Maninagar areas of the city, respectively.
The police said that the accused work for one Pratibhav Press that brings out a weekly supplement called “Pratibhav” in the city. However, the organisation, located near Khadia police station, has no official presence in the printing market.
According to the Crime Branch officials, Anita claims to work as a reporter, while Makwana runs the supplement. They apparently joined hands with Syedali, a thief who was earlier arrested in several cases. The accused began an extortion racket and targeted people from various professions from doctors to traders, the police said.
The police said that they targeted a doctor in Machchunagar area of Vatva GIDC who allegedly didn’t have a proper degree, but he was running a small clinic. The accused barged into his clinic posing as reporters and extorted Rs 15,000 from him. In another case, they stormed into a factory in Vatva posing as police officials and warned the owner claiming that they go a tip-off about child labourers were being used for making plastic goods. They later extorted Rs 1 lakh from the factory owner, the police said. The accused have been booked under various sections of the Indian Penal Code.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More