Demolition of a Hanuman temple on the drive-in road in Ahmedabad by Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation (AMC) led to prorests by residents Tuesday morning. The city police was deployed at the site to control the situation.
The temple priest who is sitting on a fast near the demolished site claimed that there was no prior notice or information by the municipal authorities before carrying out the demolition drive of this 40 year old relatively small temple that took place on Monday night.
“I was shocked to see the temple demolished when I reached the temple for morning prayer with my son at around 8. The municipal authorities did not serve any notice or informed about the demolition. They have even taken away the idol,” said temple priest Tulabh Das (60).
The priest further added, “Till the time they return the idol of this 40 year old temple I will sit here on a fast.”
The prorests in the morning led to traffic snarls on this busy stretch of road during peak hours.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
On the other hand, AMC authorities said that the temple priest had built a larger structure at the place of the previous temple that led to its demolition.
The priest though accepted the fact that he had raised the structure of the temple. “Around 15-20 days back on the request of devotees I got the platform raised as they said they have a problem entering the temple,” said Das.
Estate Officer H R Shah said, “The priest had built a much larger structure so it had to be demolished. There is no need to serve any prior notice for this kind of demolition drive.”
On returning of the idol Shah said that if the temple priest assures the original structure to be retained they would return the idol.