A jeweller was killed in Surat in broad daylight on Thursday, after two youths, wearing masks, entered a shop at Gopipura, slit his throat, and tried to rob the gold and silver ornaments.
The suspects, however, escaped empty-handed as other shop keepers in the locality rushed in on hearing the commotion.
The victim has been identified as Rajendra Pawar, a resident of Shaktinagar Society in Katargam, who runs a gold and silver jewellery shop in Soni Complex at Gopipura.
According to the police, the incident took place around noon when Rajendra was alone in his shop. The youths first beat him up, and when Rajendra shouted for help, one of them, slit his throat with a knife. Both youths fled the scene, when they saw other shopkeepers converge on the scene. When the other shopkeepers arrived, they saw Rajendra lying in a pool of blood on the floor. A nearby doctor was called, who declared him dead.
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
Police from Athwalines rushed to the spot and later sent the body to New Civil Hospital for post mortem, Police also informed Rajendra’s wife and 16-year-old son about the incident.
Athwalines police inspector D D Damor said, “We have acquired the CCTV footage from the shop and the main road junctions. We have found out that the criminals escaped in an auto-rickshaw.”
This incident in Surat comes just a week after three armed men shot dead a bullion trader in Ahmedabad and looted over Rs 1 crore from him.