A partially-eaten and decapitated body of a teenage girl was found at a closed diamond factory in Varachha area here on Friday.
The deceased has not been identified yet, and police were waiting for forensic report to find out whether the girl was raped and murdered.
According to police, residents of the societies near Classic India Diamond Company spotted some stray dogs with legs and hands of a human in the morning, and informed them. When police entered the company’s compound they found the girl’s highly decomposed body and also an MP3 player from the spot.
- Haryana Dalit girl gangraped, murdered: Attackers thrust object into girl’s body, says doctor
- Kanpur: Former block head’s daughter raped, killed
- Five-year-old girl dies after kite string slits her throat in Surat
- Body of missing 11-year-old girl found in Ludhiana
- Nine-year old domestic help murdered in Ludhiana
- Seven-year-old raped and murdered, decomposed body recovered
The body was later sent to the Surat Municipal Corporation-run SMIMER hospital for post mortem.
“We still don’t know whether the girl was raped and murdered. The doctors claimed that she might have died around 10 days ago. The body was found in decomposed state and stray dogs have eaten many parts of the body. We are taking statements of people who live near the closed factory and also checking recordings of four CCTV cameras installed in nearby buildings to find out whether the girl was seen entering the closed compound,” said DCP (Zone 1) Jagdish Patel.
He said: “The diamond company is closed for five years and it is owned by one Kumar Bhanshali who had now shifted to Mumbai. The State Bank of India had attached the property due to some unknown reasons. We have also come to know that there was no security guard posted at its main gate and it was unlocked.”