In a show of strength, thousands of farmers from 104 villages in four talukas of the district will take out a rally on Monday under the banner of Gujarat Khedut Samaj demanding revocation of the proposed development plan-2035 of Surat Urban Development Authority (SUDA).
Farmers’ leaders alleged that the development plan would affect the farmers as they would be deprived of their land.
The SUDA would take away major chunk of farm lands for creating infrastructures like roads, street lights, drinking water facility, drainage etc in the name of development.
- Farmers’ body claims govt plan to divert Narmada water for industry
- Farmers’ body raises red flag against textile park in Surat
- Farmers move Gujarat HC against SUDA
- Gujarat farmers challenge legality of Town Planning Act in HC
- Inclusion of 104 villages under Surat Urban body: 10,000 farmers, Patidar outfit leaders take out protest rally
- Anna Hazare likely to join farmers’ rally in Bhavnagar
Jayesh Patel, president of Gujarat Khedut Samaj, South Gujarat said, “Earlier, over 90 villages were merged with the SUDA. These villages had not witnessed any major developmental works so far. Already SUDA office faces 70 percent shortage of staff. The 104 villages to be affected by the SUDA move come under four talukas are Choryasi, Olpad, Kamrej and Palsana in Surat district. Through a memorandum we will demand cancellation of the notification.”
“Thousands of farmers will take part in the rally on Monday. The rally will start from Jehangirpura and will culminate at Suda Bhavan, where we will hand over a memorandum to SUDA chairman,” he added.