Surat-based alleged Hawala operator Afroz Hasan Fatta has been arrested by the officials of Directorate of Enforcement (ED) here in Ahmedabad on Wednesday. He is accused of hawala transaction said to be over Rs.5000 crore in just two months with the help of purported diamond trading firms run by him.
According to sources ED had issued summons to Fatta for his appearance on Wednesday. After grilling him for hours the officials arrested him. Sources said that Fatta was not cooperating with the investigation. He refused to divulge details of other suspects including the alleged mastermind of the racket Sunderlal Jain who is still absconding.
Fatta hit a controversy after the Congress released his photos with Prime Minister in-waiting Narendra Modi during the poll campaign earlier this month while attacking back BJP also put out his photos with Congress candidate Mohammed Azharuddin. Later Fatta had told The Indian Express that he had nothing to do with any political parties.
- Mumbai’s Haji Ali Dargah Trust to SC: Ready to give women access to sanctum sanctorum
- Samajwadi Party Crisis: 5 Quotes By Mulayam Singh Yadav At Press Conference
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Vs Shivaay: What Delhites Pick
- Supreme Court Directs Vijay Mallya To Fully Disclose Foreign Assets In 4 Weeks
- 5 Reasons To Watch Ae Dil Hai Mushkil
- BSP Supremo Mayawati Criticises PM Modi Over Triple Talaq: Here’s What She Said
- Google Pixel XL Phone Review: Pros, Cons And Final Verdict
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Says Army donation Is Voluntary
- Rock On 2 Trailer Launch: Farhan Akhtar, Shraddha Kapoor, Prachi Desai On Their Roles
- Cyrus Mistry’s Career Timeline
- Stalker Kills Woman At Metro Station In Gurgaon: Here’s What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 October 24 Review: Seven Contestants Nominated For Evictions
- Power Struggle In Mulayam’s Party: Here’s What People Reacted
- 1 Dead, 5 Injured In Low Intensity Explosion In Delhi’s Naya Bazaar Area
- Delhi: Naya Bazar Explosion Cctv Footage
Fatta is alleged to have floated nine firms, which existed only on papers. With these firms he forged bills of entry based on which he tranferred the money abroad with the held of a private bank in violation of the Foreign Exchange Management Act.
Soon after ED busted Fatta his links with the underworld also started cropping up. Two bike-borne men shot at one Amjad Dalal, a friend of Fatta, in Surat. Investigations led to the fact that the shootout by done at the behest of don Babloo Srivastava who is lodged in UP jail.
Following this incident an envelope with six bullets was found at Fatta’s Mumbai residence, which is considered to be a sign that he was probably on the underworld radar.