A day after exit polls predicted a Modi-led NDA government at the Centre, two critical party meetings were held in Gandhinagar on Tuesday, ostensibly to initiate search for a possible successor to Chief Minister Narendra Modi and to chart the course for Gujarat.
The first meeting was of the Gujarat BJP’s core group of executives, including general secretary Om Mathur, which met at the party headquarters at Shree Kamalam. It was chaired by state BJP president R C Faldu and took stock of the current fluid political situation which will be cleared only on May 16. The other was of MLAs at the sachivalaya. This meeting triggered heavy speculation about Modi’s successor from among sitting ministers as well as leaders from the party organisation. However, the MLAs meeting, chaired by Modi later in the evening, is said to have focused more on the successor issue.
However, BJP’s state unit general secretary Vijay Rupani described these meetings as “routine” and said any decision on the next CM will be taken only after May 16, when the results of the Lok Sabha elections are out. “The issue of the next Chief Minister will only be discussed after May 16. That too will be as per our central parliamentary board’s decision,” Rupani said.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
Several names, including those of Amit Shah, BJP national general-secretary and Modi’s pointsman in key battleground state of Uttar Pradesh, and senior ministers Anandi Patel, Nitin Patel, Saurabh Patel, besides organising secretary of the state party, Bhiku Dalsania and party leader Purshottam Rupala, are doing the rounds as possible successor to the incumbent CM.