A day after exit polls predicted a Modi-led NDA government at the Centre, two critical party meetings were held in Gandhinagar on Tuesday, ostensibly to initiate search for a possible successor to Chief Minister Narendra Modi and to chart the course for Gujarat.
The first meeting was of the Gujarat BJP’s core group of executives, including general secretary Om Mathur, which met at the party headquarters at Shree Kamalam. It was chaired by state BJP president R C Faldu and took stock of the current fluid political situation which will be cleared only on May 16. The other was of MLAs at the sachivalaya. This meeting triggered heavy speculation about Modi’s successor from among sitting ministers as well as leaders from the party organisation. However, the MLAs meeting, chaired by Modi later in the evening, is said to have focused more on the successor issue.
However, BJP’s state unit general secretary Vijay Rupani described these meetings as “routine” and said any decision on the next CM will be taken only after May 16, when the results of the Lok Sabha elections are out. “The issue of the next Chief Minister will only be discussed after May 16. That too will be as per our central parliamentary board’s decision,” Rupani said.
Several names, including those of Amit Shah, BJP national general-secretary and Modi’s pointsman in key battleground state of Uttar Pradesh, and senior ministers Anandi Patel, Nitin Patel, Saurabh Patel, besides organising secretary of the state party, Bhiku Dalsania and party leader Purshottam Rupala, are doing the rounds as possible successor to the incumbent CM.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More