A Mumbai court on Friday rejected the regular bail application of suspended IPS officer D G Vanzara, who has been lodged at Sabarmati Central Jail for the past seven years. He had sought bail on the ground of his incarceration without trial, along with parity of other accused policemen who were recently granted bail.
This order almost ensures that Vanzara will be retiring from service from the prison itself. He is retiring on May 31. He has also been chargesheeted in Ishrat Jahan encounter case. His bail application in this case has been pending. Vanzara figures in Sohrabuddin encounter as the accused No. 1. He is alleged to have masterminded the fake encounter in which Sheikh’s wife, Kauser Bi, was also killed by police officials. Vanzara had pleaded for bail on the ground that he was arrested in 2007 and since then has been lodged in jail in judicial custody.
He also placed the cases of his junior officials who were recently granted bail, including supended IPS officers Rajkumar Pandian, Abhay Chudasama, Dinesh M N, among others. In fact, out of the 23 accused in the case,17 have been granted bail.
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Audience Reaction: Ranbir, Aishwarya, Anushka Starrer Gets A Thumbs Up
- Bigg Boss 10, October 27 Review: Navin, Lokesh Fights During The Immunity Task
- Shivaay Audience Reaction: Ajay Devgn Impresses Viewers
- Pakistan High Commission Staffer Caught With Defence Documents: What It Means For India & Pakistan
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
The CBI had opposed Vanzara’s bail, stating that he is the mastermind of the encounter in which three persons were murdered. Besides, there are other cases against him pending at different stages. This order will make sure that Vanzara will retire from the service within the jail premises on May 31.
Vanzara’s lawyer, V D Gajjar, said that the court has only given the operative part of the order while rejecting the plea. However, the reason behind the rejection will be known when the court resumes after vacation.