A Mumbai court on Friday rejected the regular bail application of suspended IPS officer D G Vanzara, who has been lodged at Sabarmati Central Jail for the past seven years. He had sought bail on the ground of his incarceration without trial, along with parity of other accused policemen who were recently granted bail.
This order almost ensures that Vanzara will be retiring from service from the prison itself. He is retiring on May 31. He has also been chargesheeted in Ishrat Jahan encounter case. His bail application in this case has been pending. Vanzara figures in Sohrabuddin encounter as the accused No. 1. He is alleged to have masterminded the fake encounter in which Sheikh’s wife, Kauser Bi, was also killed by police officials. Vanzara had pleaded for bail on the ground that he was arrested in 2007 and since then has been lodged in jail in judicial custody.
He also placed the cases of his junior officials who were recently granted bail, including supended IPS officers Rajkumar Pandian, Abhay Chudasama, Dinesh M N, among others. In fact, out of the 23 accused in the case,17 have been granted bail.
The CBI had opposed Vanzara’s bail, stating that he is the mastermind of the encounter in which three persons were murdered. Besides, there are other cases against him pending at different stages. This order will make sure that Vanzara will retire from the service within the jail premises on May 31.
Vanzara’s lawyer, V D Gajjar, said that the court has only given the operative part of the order while rejecting the plea. However, the reason behind the rejection will be known when the court resumes after vacation.
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation